Distance Learning is new for all of us and we are figuring this out together! We are here to support you in this journey. That's why we have created this list of tips, resources and recommendations that we hope you will find helpful.
Habits of Success:
Below is a list of tips for success during Distance Learning.
- Use online Distance Learning resources:
- Checking email will be important during Distance Learning. This will be true for students and parents.
- Schoology will be the main platform for delivering lessons, assignments and assessments.
- Parent Portal will continue to be used for updating grades.
- Set up a workspace. A good workspace includes an area to sit and work that has limited distractions. It’s helpful to keep your school materials in your workspace so they are easy to find.
- Get organized. It is helpful to keep school materials organized in one location. It is also a good idea to use a calendar or planner to keep track of assignments and other commitments.
- Develop a routine. This includes keeping good sleep patterns, designating regular homework times, and also prioritizing time for fun and exercise.
- Set goals. Determining what you want to accomplish each time you sit down to work will help you stay focused and keep you successful.
- Prioritize work. Tackle homework in the order that works best for you. For example, some students like to get their more challenging homework done first because they know this is the time they are most focused.
- Know your limits. Take breaks when you need them. You get breaks during the regular school day and you will need them during distance learning, as well. Just be sure to come back to work when your break is done!
- Limit distractions. Set aside phones, tvs, and other unnecessary devices. This will help ensure that your work time is productive.
- Be a self-advocate. Contact your teachers for help when you need it. Email and google hangouts are great options!
- Watch the Morning Show program. The Morning Show is a great way to stay connected, stay informed of important announcements, and learn important skills for wellness.
Below is a list of additional recommendations we want to share with you:
- Take care of yourself. At RMS, we care about you and we want you to stay healthy during this COVID-19 pandemic. This includes your physical, mental and emotional well-being. Some basic ways to stay healthy include: get good sleep, get physical activity each day, eat healthy foods, and stay connected to friends and family.
- RMS Mindful Moments. Mindful Moments have been featured on the Morning Show program throughout the school year. Mindful Moments lessons teach foundations of mindfulness and provide mindfulness practices. There is a new website available that includes Mindful Moments that are focused on topics related to COVID-19. Click here to view the website.
- A parent’s role during Distance Learning. Many parents are not sure how to support their students during Distance Learning. If that’s true for you, please know that it is OK. Distance Learning is new for all of us and we will figure this out together! Below are a few recommendations that parents may find helpful:
- Parents can look through schoology with their students to see what their kids are working on and what they have submitted.
- Parents can use Parent Portal for grade updates. Again, it can be helpful for parents and students to look at parent portal together so they can talk about grades that are posted.
- Parents and students can email RMS teachers, counselors, and administration for help when needed.
Below is a list of additional resources we want you to be aware of:
- Chromebook support. Support, repair, and replacement options will be available during the summer starting June 3, 2020, available Wednesdays during business hours: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. by phone (763) 241-3490 or by visiting www.isd728.org/LetsChat.
- RMS online resources. Be sure to check your email regularly during Distance Learning. Information will also be shared through the RMS Morning Show, RMS Messenger Email Blasts, RMS Twitter and Facebook, and the RMS Mindful Moments website.
- ISD 728 online resources: